Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Memories of the Blizzard of 1978

With a snowier (and colder) than average winter, thoughts go back to the February 5 storm of 1978. Hard to believe it was 31 years ago. The only thing I recall vividly was that it was an early school dismissal (much like today is for most schools in the region), and since I had nothing special to do at home, I figured it would be a good chance to skip the bus and work on my basketball skills in the gym. Unfortunately, as a dumb 7th grader, this meant as the snow began to pile up, I had no ride home. Luckily, my gym teacher (back then you could call "phys ed" teachers by that title) offered to give me a ride home...which took an hour to cover the 2 miles to my house. I mention this only because looking at the current radar, the snow is falling quite heavily, especially to our east...and there is not a great deal of movement in the track of this current storm. Therefore, I am predicting snowfall totals greater than those currently forecast (2-4 inches). While it won't match the 24 inches or so that fell in '78, it will make us wish for spring even harder. The good news is that the weekend could see us hit 50 degrees, with some serious melting possible. That should get folks thinking about camping. After all, with pitchers and catchers reporting soon, the first day of camping season can't be far behind. In fact, it is just 2 months from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment