Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Still befuddled by curling


Being a sports fan, I try to give most Olympic events a fair chance. Although I can only take so much of a few things (ie figure skating, typically 7-8 seconds max), I spent at least 20 minutes watching curling last night and still have only a minimal understanding. Sort of like bocce on ice, but between the calls, the numbers that they refer to (zones) and the funny accents (not talking about the Japanese team...could not understand a word they were saying, but team USA's ladies made me feel like I was watching "Fargo"), I admit to struggling. Best part was the high-tech measuring device they brought out at the end to award the Japanese team the victory. Cool tool--I just don't think the ref had any idea how to use it. I would have used a string, like bocce, or a horseshoe caliper. Enjoyed a little of the snowboard roller derby thing, and Brock liked the special segment on polar bears. Apparently, no mercy rule in women's hockey, as Team USA won 13-0. Speaking of that team, I have been told that one of the players has an aunt who used to be a seasonal at Strawberry Park. Since Liz Wong was from Fairfield, I am guessing it must be Julie Chu, since she is also from Fairfield (and is the only player on the roster with a name that appears to be of Asian descent). Congrats and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment